This recipe if the one featured at the annual Punahou Carnival.
- 1 -2lb ham hocks or 1 -2 lb ham bone
- 2(15 ounce) cans kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2large potatoes, cubed
- 3large carrots, diced
- 1medium onion, chopped
- 1(16 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1(16 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1lb linguica sausage, cubed
- 1cup elbow macaroni, uncooked
- 2garlic cloves, minced
- 1tablespoon sugar
- 1teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2teaspoon pepper
- 1medium head of cabbage, cubed
- Boil ham hocks or ham bone in 2 quarts of water until tender (save stock). Cut meat from the bones.
- Bring ham stock to a boil and add the cut meat and all the remaining ingredients except the cabbage.
- Simmer for 1 - 2 hours, stirring frequently.
- If too thick, add a little water.
- Add the cabbage, cook another hour until tender.
- Add more salt and pepper if needed.
This soup can also be made with Portuguese sausage (linguica) or kielbasa instead of the ham and is equally ono (delicious)!